|Education level||Postgraduate / Master of Science|
|Course title||Special topics in Human Reproduction|
|Independent teaching activities||Hours per week||ECTS|
|Coursetype||General knowledge, skill acquiring|
|Teaching and assessment language||English|
|Course URL||Special Topics in Human Reproduction|
Upon the completion of this module, the post-graduate student will be able to understand what is the efficacy, the indications and the effectiveness of specialized treatments used in Human Assisted Reproduction.
Upon completion of the course, graduate students will be familiar with:
- Strategies on how to deal with difficult patients requiring Assisted Reproduction treatment.
- The basic principles which draw the line between medicine exercised on the basis of good intentions and that exercised on the basis of effectiveness and safety.
The course participants upon completion will be able to:
- Understand the latest developments in Human Assisted Reproduction, their value and potential.
- Evaluate and select additional specialized treatment for difficult patients.
- Critically appraise the existing evidence for all promising therapies currently available.
- Understand to what degree an existing revolutionary treatment is indeed well founded and ready to be offered to patients beyond a research context.
- Double stimulation for IVF
- In vitro maturation
- Stimulation without GnRH analogues for IVF
- Oocyte cryopreservation
- Social freezing
- Freezing prior to malignancy
- Ovarian tissue freezing
- Delaying menopause
- Fertility preservation
- Oocyte donation
- Androgen pretreatment
- Use of DHEA
- Use of GH
- Mitochondrial replacement
- Cytoplasmic transfer
- PRP for reviving ovaries
- IMSI MACS
Teaching and learning methods – evaluation
|Teaching methods||Face to face
|Use of information and |
communication technologies (ICT)
|Use of information technology for teaching - Moodle Virtual learning environment (VLE) (asynchronous learning)
Use of information technology for clinical training - Moodle Virtual learning environment (VLE) (asynchronous learning, wikis, Online Discussion Fora, Educational Portfolio)
• Use of information technology for the communication with the post-graduate students (e-mail, direct messages through Moodle)
|Module structure||Work Hours per Semester||Activity|
|Exercises (Online discussion fora)||25|
|Exercises (Study relevant papers)||20|
|Overall work for the course||125|
|Assessment Methods||• Final assignment, in English, up to 2,500 words, that will be submitted after the completion of the module
Knowledge evaluation during the beginning and the end of the module through short-answer questions and short assays
Multiple-choice questions on a weekly basis
Evaluation of the fora participation for each post-graduate student during the online weeks
- Zheng X, Guo W, Zeng L, Zheng D, Yang S, Wang L, Wang R, Mol BW, Li R, Qiao J. Live birth after in vitro maturation versus standard in vitro fertilisation for women with polycystic ovary syndrome: protocol for a non-inferiority randomised clinical trial. BMJ Open 2020;10: e035334.
- Vuong LN, Ho TM, Ha AN, Pham TD, Le TTN, Yding Andersen C, Humaidan P. The effect of intra-ovarian androgen priming on ovarian reserve parameters in Bologna poor responders. Reprod Biomed Online 2020;40: 223-228.
- Sheikhansari G, Pourmoghadam Z, Danaii S, Mehdizadeh A, Yousefi M. Etiology and management of recurrent implantation failure: A focus on intra-uterine PBMC-therapy for RIF. J Reprod Immunol 2020;139: 103121.
- Liu Y, Jiang H, Du X, Huang J, Wang X, Hu Y, Ni F, Liu C. Contribution of rescue in-vitro maturation versus double ovarian stimulation in ovarian stimulation cycles of poor-prognosis women. Reprod Biomed Online 2020;40: 511-517.
- Hsu CC, Hsu L, Hsu I, Chiu YJ, Dorjee S. Live Birth in Woman With Premature Ovarian Insufficiency Receiving Ovarian Administration of Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) in Combination With Gonadotropin: A Case Report. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020;11: 50.
- Hoyos LR, Cheng CY, Brennan K, Hubert G, Wang B, Buyalos RP, Quinn M, Shamonki M. Euploid rates among oocyte donors: is there an optimal age for donation? J Assist Reprod Genet 2020;37: 589-594.
- Deonandan R. Thoughts on the ethics of gestational surrogacy: perspectives from religions, Western liberalism, and comparisons with adoption. J Assist Reprod Genet 2020;37: 269-279.
- Safdarian L, Aghahosseini M, Alyasin A, Samaei Nouroozi A, Rashidi S, Shabani Nashtaei M, Najafian A, Lak P. Growth Hormone (GH) Improvement of Ovarian Responses and Pregnancy Outcome in Poor Ovarian Responders: A Randomized Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2019;20: 2033-2037.
- La Marca A, Capuzzo M. Use of progestins to inhibit spontaneous ovulation during ovarian stimulation: the beginning of a new era? Reprod Biomed Online 2019;39: 321-331.
- Peters HE, Schats R, Verhoeven MO, Mijatovic V, de Groot CJM, Sandberg JL, Peeters IP, Lambalk CB. Gestational surrogacy: results of 10 years of experience in the Netherlands. Reprod Biomed Online 2018;37: 725-731.
- He F, Wang MJ, Li SL, Zhang CY, Hu LN. [IMSI versus ICSI for male factor infertility: A meta-analysis]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 2018;24: 254-262.
- Fang L, Ye YH, Li ES, Feng GF. [Magnetic-activated cell sorting (MACS) versus density gradient centrifugation (DGC) for the selection of human sperm in assisted reproductive techniques]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2018;98: 3263-3267.
- Chern CU, Tsui KH, Vitale SG, Chen SN, Wang PH, Cianci A, Tsai HW, Wen ZH, Lin LT. Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) supplementation improves in vitro fertilization outcomes of poor ovarian responders, especially in women with low serum concentration of DHEA-S: a retrospective cohort study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2018;16: 90.
- Ben-Rafael Z. The dilemma of social oocyte freezing: usage rate is too low to make it cost-effective. Reprod Biomed Online 2018;37: 443-448.
- Gook DA. Chapter 12 Human Ovarian Tissue Slow Freezing. Methods Mol Biol 2017;1568: 161-176.
- Hoseini FS, Salsabili N, Akbari-Asbagh F, Aflatoonian R, Aghaee-Bakhtiari SH. Comparison of Gene Expression Profiles in Human Germinal Vesicle Before and After Cytoplasmic Transfer From Mature Oocytes in Iranian Infertile Couples. J Family Reprod Health 2016;10: 71-79.
- Abir R, Ben-Aharon I, Garor R, Yaniv I, Ash S, Stemmer SM, Ben-Haroush A, Freud E, Kravarusic D, Sapir O et al. Cryopreservation of in vitro matured oocytes in addition to ovarian tissue freezing for fertility preservation in paediatric female cancer patients before and after cancer therapy. Hum Reprod 2016;31: 750-762.